Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Statement from Levi Herrera-Lopez on the Salem School Board election

I am so proud of the grassroots and positive campaign we ran.

The turnout didn't go our way, and still our volunteers and supporters connected with thousands of voters at their doors, by mail and by phone, including many first time voters. Our message of inclusion, equity and improving educational outcomes for ALL children resonated with more than 12,000 voters.

Although we did not succeed tonight in making our School Board more representative of the community, the stage is set for it to happen sooner rather than later. After all, when was the last time a Latino candidate won 12,000 votes in Salem-Keizer?

I want to thank our volunteers for Acción Política Pcunista, Progressive Salem, our supporters from Stand for Children, of course my family, and all the voters who supported us.

I also want to congratulate Sheronne Blasi on her victory, and thank Kathleen Harder for her work. They are both amazing individuals, and Sheronne will make a great and effective Board member.

We came up short tonight, but we are not defeated. Please don't feel sad for me. My work is not done here. I will most definitely work to keep our new Board accountable. In particular, those candidates who spoke of being a voice for those who don't have representation, now have their own words to live up to.

Also, please, don't let this outcome discourage you. If anything the lesson is EVERY VOTE COUNTS.

YOUR VOTE COUNTS.

I ran to make sure every child in Salem-Keizer has a chance to succeed. And that remains my goal more so now than ever.

Thank you all!

1 comment:

  1. My family is proud to have voted for you, and grateful that you are willing to give so much energy to serving our community. We will be there for you next time. In the meantime, as you say, there is much to celebrate right now.

    ReplyDelete